Victim Location 80002
Total money lost $520
Type of a scam Utility
I wished I never had used mobilemechanics.org for mobile automotive service to repair my son’s car. It began when my son’s car died while he was at work at the airport, and we had to get the car towed to our home. I have heard about the services of using a mobile automotive mechanic, and thought this service could be useful, versus having the car towed to a “brick and mortar” mechanic for the repair. I did a internet search on mobile mechanics, and came across mobilemechanics.org, also doing business as moblemechanicsofdenver.com, and mobilemechanicsoflasvegas.com (same phone numbers and delivery of content on the websites). I can guess there are more URL’s.
I contacted mobilemechanics.org, and told the person on the phone (I’m assuming its a one man operation, same man that worked on the car) that the car will not start, and the make and model of the car. He tole me his rates of $125.00, $75.00 goes towards the diagnosis, and the remainder goes towards the repair. It sounded fair at the time, and I texted him my name, address, and the make of the car. Thursday, March 31, 2016, we scheduled the appointment for the next day (Friday, April 1, 2016) at 10:30. He arrived Friday (April 1, 2016) at 10:30, my son gave him the money and he began working on the car. At the time, he did not give off an warning signs. In about 30 minutes he told us the problem was the distributor cap. And the total for the repair would be $374.00. We paid him, and he left to get the part. Now I realized this was not a good idea, I screwed up! About a half hour later, he came back with the part (I think?), and began working on the car. I would occasionally look through the window, and watch him on and off working on the car. Then I noticed he stopped working on the car, got into his truck and drove off. After 10 to 20 minutes he did not come back, so I called him asked what was going on. He said he had the wrong distributor cap and it was not syncing up. The auto shop did not have the correct one in stock, and he had to have it shipped over night to the store.
Saturday, (Apri 2, 2016) I texted him to see if the part came in. No reply back. I texted him Sunday (April 3, 2016) to see if the part came in, and finally got a reply that it did not show up. Monday (April 4, 2016) , I texted and called him, no reply. Tuesday (April 5, 2016) , I called him again and he finally asked the phone and told me it is expected to come in Thursday (April 7, 2016). NOTE: Now I’m mad, frustrated and worried that I got ripped off, especially with this non communication from him. I even asked for my money back, and he said don’t worry, I will get it fixed.
I called him Thursday (April 7, 2016), (NOTE: I NEVER received a call from him on the status!) and he said he had the part, and will be at my home around 2:30 to 3:00. Again, he did not show up. My wife called him and left him a message that we were going to call the police and get legal assistance. Now when I call him, it goes straight to his voice mail.
So, now I’m taking legal action, filing a complaint with the State Attorney General, and filing a police report. I hope anyone and everyone that reads this, make the correct decision and find a reputable mobile mechanic. Buyer beware!